In February 2023, Community Foundation of Nova Scotia was pleased to announce $320,000 to 12 Nova Scotia organizations supporting women, girls, two-spirit and gender-diverse individuals working towards a future grounded in equity, inclusion and justice. This funding is part of a 5-year initiative with Community Foundations of Canada and the Equality Fund, with support from the Government of Canada, to advance gender equality in Canada.
With a call for proposals in 2022, Communities for Gender Equality funding is enabling these community-based organizations to provide programs and services, including mental health, wellbeing, social and justice supports, with a gender-equality lens while helping build resilience and sustain capacity.
• Chebucto Family Centre: Volunteer Doula Program expansion – $15,640
• ElevateHER Mental Health Support Services Canada: Queer Youth Program – $37,320
• Elizabeth Fry Society of Cape Breton: Right Here, Right Now: Women for Change – $37,500
• Elizabeth Fry Society of Mainland NS: Survivors for Change and Empowerment – $37,500
• Guysborough County Adult Learning Association: Family Literacy Inclusion Project – $10,240
• Hope House: Pathways to Sustainable Livelihood for Vulnerable Women – $25,000
• MacPhee Centre for Creative Learning: 2SLGBTQ+ – $30,000
• Second Story Women’s Centre: Outreach Counselling Program – $25,000
• Stepping Stone Association: Stepping Stone Transition Project – $35,750
• Tri-Country Women’s Centre: TCWC Mental Health Services – $40,000
• Upper Hammonds Plains Community Development Association: Girls with Ideas Leadership Program – $6,050
• YWCA Halifax: Sexualized Violence in Skilled Trades – an Intersectional Approach – $20,000
Communities for Gender Equality – 2021
Community Foundation of Nova Scotia is proud to announce $151,900 to support six organizations at the heart of the women’s movement, whose core activities, leadership, mission, and vision are committed to advancing gender equality.
Cohort 1 of the Communities for Gender Equality is supported by a collaboration between Community Foundations of Canada and the Equality Fund, with support from the Government of Canada and Green Shield Canada.
The following are the six recipients and their projects:
|Elizabeth Fry Society of Cape Breton||Equitable Access to Justice for Women|
|Stepping Stone Association||Stepping Stone’s Transition Program|
|Coverdale Courtwork Society||Bail Support & Outreach|
|Elizabeth Fry Society Mainland Nova Scotia||Abundance|
|The Youth Project||Dreaming Transformative Futures|
|Halifax Refugee Clinic Association||A Path Forward: Creating English Language Learning Opportunities for Refugee Women In Nova Scotia|
Pilot Fund for Gender Equality – 2020
The Pilot Fund for Gender Equality was the first learning opportunity, as community foundations and local organizations come together to explore ways to support leadership in the women’s movement and ways to advance gender equality in communities across Canada.
26 community foundations from coast to coast to coast participated in the Pilot Fund, providing $1.4M to 112 projects. Many of these community foundations and organizations have already engaged in gender equality work, while others are new to this space.
The following are the four recipients and their projects:
|Adsum for Women and Children||PeerWorks|
|Coverdale Courtwork Society||LGBTQ Justice|
|Elizabeth Fry Society of Cape Breton||Bail Verification, Supervision and Residency Program|
|YWCA Halifax||Hearing Her: Trafficked and exploited girls as policy and program leaders|